Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Argentine customs I love

These are some of the things I am going to take back with me from Argentina:

1) Mate!! I love drinking it everywhere, with everyone! You fill a hollow gourd with yerba mate (a special kind of tea) and HOT water, then drink the entire thing before refilling it and passing it on to someone else. It would definitely qualify as a hippie type of thing back home, but everyone, young or old, rich or poor, shares mate daily here! Some add sugar, some drink it with orange juice or lemonade instead of water . . the possibilities are endless!

2) Plants on every balcony. The apartments are all decked out with tons of potted plants and flowers of all different varieties - it's rare to see one lacking vegetation. Definitely doing this when I get an apartment.

3) Confidence. Every Argentine knows without a doubt that he or she is the most wonderful person ever to walk the earth and that this country is superior to any other. Leaving no room for doubt as to your own personal greatness looks to be a wonderful method of building self-confidence.

4) Actually taking the time to ENJOY a meal or a simple coffee with friends. All meals here last at least an hour, and coffee can be a four-hour event. Fast food is unusual, as is coffee to go. I love taking the opportunity to sit at an outdoor cafe and really chat with the people I am lunching with and to people-watch as others walk by on the streets!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying your study abroad experience! Now we need a gourd photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, my camera broke about one week into the trip, but I have a couple of pictures of myself drinking mate up on Facebook that were taken on someone else´s camera!

    Here is a link to one of them: http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs390.snc3/23791_354524258498_647448498_3779356_649088_n.jpg

    I will definitely have to bring some mate into the Communications dept. next semester so you can test it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those last two sound like France :)

    ReplyDelete